Ecole Hammond BayNanaimo, Colombie-Britannique 37 / 350 livres donnés
Nom du directeur ou de la directrice : Christine Bohm
Mme Jacqueline Kellam is our Teacher Librarian at Ecole Hammond Bay.
The library's slogan is Curiosity, Creativity, and Connection/Curiosité, Créativité, Branché. In the library, Mme Jacqueline brings this to life by encouraging curiosity, supporting creativity, and developing connections with each other and the world around us.
In order to carry out this mission, we need NEW books in our school's Library Learning Commons! Here are the reasons why:
1. So many of our books are surprisingly out of date: our older readers can't find much that's new to read, and the younger readers are put off by the age and condition of many of our books. A well-funded library, stocked with current and relevant books for all students is a cornerstone of literacy and supports success and achievement for all students. Our current budget for books is around $2.85 per student. This means we can only buy about 40 or fewer new hardcover books for the library each year, and makes it hard to stay current and relevant. It also leaves no room for e-books, new references, Makerspace materials, and other needs of an excellent Library Learning Commons.
2. We are also a French Immersion school, so we need books in BOTH languages. We have a serious lack of non-fiction books in French (they are about 3:1 English). Exciting, newly-published books in fiction and non-fiction will encourage and support our learners as they become more and more proficient in French.
3. Teacher Librarians in SD68 are focusing on Reconciliation. We have a small but growing collection of authentic indigenous works but we need many more books that celebrate and illuminate the cultural heritage of our First Peoples.
4. We also seek to celebrate diversity, and need to replace old books with ones that show diversity in race, religion, gender and more. EVERY child should be able to see themselves reflected in our collection!
4. In a world that is technologically buzzing around us, we definitely need books and resources that explain and encourage coding to this new generation of computer programmers. Currently, we have NO books on coding. We especially hope to stock our library with books on coding for girls!
New books will invigorate our library's collection, helping to make it dynamic and relevant, and ignite our students' passion for the world around them!
Mme Jacqueline and all of us at Ecole Hammond Bay would be so excited to be able to purchase all levels of fiction from NEW authors, books in French for our non-fiction section that meet our curricular needs, and beautiful new picture books in French and English.
Thank you for your support of this exciting initiative, and please come and visit Mme Jacqueline in the Library!
- Graphic novels in both French and English, especially the Amulet series
- Guinness World Record books
- Anything by Rick Riordan
- Books about our sports heroes
- Elephant and Piggie!
- Superhero books
- Funny picture books
- Beautiful books that inspire us to make a difference in the world!
En appui à Ecole Hammond Bay
Profile Update Bonus
Way to go! Supporters across Canada put 5 books in your school library from our Facebook LIKE challenge.